Cats infected with intestinal parasites commonly do not show any signs and symptoms. On the other hand, there are some manifestation to watch out for such as nausea and vomiting, weight loss, diarrhea, loss of appetite and irritation around the anus.
The most well-known intestinal parasites are tapeworms and roundworms. These type of parasites hardly infect owners. When infection develops, it could be a sign of a serious health condition. It is very necessary for pet owners to control such infection to avoid possible health risks.
These worms can cause health problems to cats and can be passed to owners but this occurrence happen on rare cases. It is better to provide regular treatment and select the best dewormers for cats to eliminate parasites.
Drontal Cat Dewormer
Drontal Cat Dewormer is suggested by most vets to fight against intestinal worms in kittens and cats. It is available in pill or tablet form. It can also be used to treat worms on the dogs. The dosage is given depending on the weight of your cat. This medication works immediately within 24 hours. The effectivity still depends on how your cats react to the medication.
- The medication is effective according to some reviews
- Long lasting effect
- Gentle for cats
- Very convenient for cat and owners
- All in one dewormer
- It eliminates tapeworms, roundworms and whipworms.
- Comes in different flavor that cats will love!
- Takes effect immediately within 24 hours.
- Approved by FDA
- Recommended by most vets
- Has potential side effects
- Cats may vomit and lose their appetite
- In rare cases, cats develop diarrhea after taking the medication
- The tablets can be big for kittens
- Other kittens may find the flavors not that great
- Due to big tablets, kittens may have difficulty swallowing the medication
Remember that if your cat develops an allergic reaction to this medication, contact your vet immediately and ask for another alternative medication.
Prolabs Tape Worm Tabs Praziquantel
Prolabs Tape Worm Tabs is one of the most effective method of removing intestinal parasites in cats specifically tapeworms. It can be also used by kittens 1 month of age and adult cats. According to the label, this product is 100% safe. It is used to kill common tapeworms such as Dipylidium caninum and Taenia taeniaformis. Fasting is suggested before giving this kind of deworming medication.
- The product can be purchase with or without prescription
- It removes any type of tapeworms easily
- Safe and effective for cats and kittens
- Can be given directly or with food
- It works fast
- Can be used by cats and dogs
- In rare cases, cats may experience salivation
- Diarrhea is one of the side effects after taking the medication
- Some cats may find the tablet hard to ingest resulting to splitting out the medication
- Instruction about dosage and how much to take the medication is not indicated on the label
Excel Roundworm Treatment Cat Dewormer
The product is very easy to use and effective kill large roundworms especially to your cats and kittens. It comes with vanilla flavor in a liquid form which is preferred by your lovely friend. In this way, it would be easier to feed them with food. This medication can be given directly or mixed with food.
- It eliminated large worms for kittens and cats
- Comes with vanilla flavor
- The box has a dosing cup
- Cheaper than any other deworming products
- No side effects
- Can be put directly in the water or food
- Cats may suffer from weight loss· Some cats may hate the flavor
- Didn’t work for some cats
- May causes continuous vomiting as a side effect to some cats
Petarmor for Cats Deworming Liquid Product
Petarmor Cats Deworming Liquid Product is a safe and effective to eliminate roundworms in cats and kittens. It comes with fish flavor and dosing cup making it easy to give your cats. It can be fed directly using a spoon.
- Can kill all types of roundworms and large worms.
- Can be fed directly to your cat or can be mixed with food
- Comes with lovely flavor
- Can be used in kittens and cats as early as 2 months.
- East to administer because of liquid formula
- Very affordable price
- Very small instructions in the label
- Some cats do not eat fish flavor medications
- The bottle can be leaked if not properly sealed
Bayer Tapeworm Dewormer Tablets for Cats
This treatment is used to kill tapeworms such as Taenia pisiformis and Dipylidium caninum.
- Comes in 3 tablets
- FDA approved· Safe to use
- Effectively kills tapeworms
- It can be given directly by mouth or mixed with food
- Enjoy by most cats
- More convenient
- Side effects like diarrhea and salivation may occur
- Can be expensive
- Cat may vomit after taking the medication
- Hard to administer because of the tablet form
Cat Dewormer Buyer’s Guide: Commonly Known Intestinal Parasites
The kind of tapeworms that are most commonly known are called Taenia Taeniaeformis and Dipylidium caninum. Dypilidium can be transferred on to cats by fleas. The larvae or known as immature fleas consume the eggs of the parasites and this is how infection develop by swallowing the flea especially during the grooming process.
Taenia Taeniaformis is transmitted to cats by means of mice and rats. The eggs of worms are ingested by these rodents and transfer on cats when they hunt and eat them. This is how infection starts to cats.
Tapeworms can be seen as flatworms consists of numerous section. Mature section carries out eggs that are discharged at the end of worms and transfer in the feces. It is often seen around the hair of the anus, in the feces and the place where the cat sleeps.The life cycle of tapeworms depends on an organism to ingest the eggs coming from the surroundings and the cat will be infected with it once this organism is ingested.
The other kind of tapeworms and their host are the following:
- Spirometra spp – Target hosts are rodents, reptiles and amphibian
- Diphyllobothrium latum – Fish
- Joyeuxiella spp – reptiles
- Diplopyludium spp – reptiles
- Echinococcus multilocularis – rodents
Roundworms are the most well-known intestinal parasites and acquire by all ages in cats. The common type of roundworms are Toxascaris leonina and Toxocara cati. All eggs coming from these parasites are transfer in the feces and can live in the environment for a long period of time. How do cats infected with this worm? There are 2 ways that cat can get this. 1st, the cat may ingest eggs from the infected soil and another source can get from a mouse or rat that are also infected and transfer to cats. For lactating cats, the infection can also be transfer to their kittens through the milk. The type of roundworm passed is called toxocara cati. When the mother cat is infected with this kind of worm, it remains on the body tissue of the cat and cause no harm to them. However, when the larvae resettle to mammary glands and released in the milk, it can be ingested by the kittens.
Regular treatment for roundworms is suggested throughout their lives. In order to conclude that your cat is infected with the parasites mentioned above, the vet may require stool sample and assessed in the laboratory to look for any existence of egg parasites. Some intestinal parasites may also affect several parts of digestive system; these worms are:
- Strongyloides spp
- Gnathostoma spp
- Ollulanus tricuspis
- Physaloptera spp
This type of parasite can destroy the inner lining of the intestines where they lay eggs and remain there. Signs and symptoms may appear on the cat are bleeding, anemia and weight loss.
Cats can be infected with these worms by eating the eggs coming from the soil. The most common type of hookworms are Unicarnia stenocephala and Ancylostoma tubaeforme. There are also other types of hookworms in different countries.
Other Intestinal Parasites
Cats can also be infected with other types of worms and target other parts of the body. These are:
- Aelurostrongylus abstrusus – Target the lungs
- Thelazia callipaeda – Target the eyes
- Dirofilaria immitis – Target the heart
- Capillaria spp – Target the lungs
Owners and Worms
Owners must be aware that these intestinal parasites can also infect humans, especially during larvae form. In a rare situation, when kids at home ingested the eggs, it may develop eye problems that result in blindness due to the worms that damages the body tissue. The most common intestinal parasites that affect humans is the roundworm. Tapeworm on the other hand does not usually affect owners but there are minor cases exists.
Kids that ingested an infected flea are the most common cases. Deworming your cat routinely is very important to keep them healthy and avoid possible health risks to your pet as well as the family members.
When Do I need to Deworm my Cat?
The best time to deworm cat is during their younger years from 2 to 4 months every 3 weeks. When kittens reach 4 months, they should be dewormed every 3 months. Roundworms are very frequent to kittens so it is suggested to deworm them as often as possible while they are young. Tapeworms are not common in adult cats but still need them to be given a treatment for intestinal parasites. The average dosage of these treatment vary on the lifestyle of the cat. The vet may depend on such condition whether they go for a hunt or due to untreated fleas. For adult cats, deworming is needed every 3 months to fight against tapeworms and roundworms. For outdoor cats, the extension of 6 months is recommended.
What are the signs and symptoms of kittens infected with worms?
- The hair of the cat is in bad condition
- Loss of appetite
- Enlargement of the belly area
- Severe weight loss
- Blood in stool
- Vomiting with worm
- Pale gums
- Worm division on the anal area
- Continuous licking in the anal area
What is the Best Deworming Medication to Use?
There are several types of worming treatment that can be found on the nearest pet store and online pet shops that your vet may suggest. There are cases that some of the treatment you can find may not be very effective so it is important to seek an advice to your trusted vet before deciding which one to purchase. There are also deworming treatments that can kill both tapeworm and roundworm. Properly select the best product for your cat’s needs. The formulations of these treatments are now available with liquids, paste and etc. that suit your cat’s tastes.
The above medications are the great way to kill intestinal parasites your cat may have. According to our research, Drontal Cat Dewormer has the highest positive reviews. This medication is safe and effective method to eliminate most prevalent worms such as tapeworms and whipworms. If your cat is infected with these worms, then this can be the right product for you. It is also recommended by most vets so owners won’t have to worry about administering it your lovely friend. The product can also be used by dogs and has been comprehensively tested for overall safety of your pets. Drontal Cat Dewormer is very popular in USA and UK as a pet deworming medication.
Prevention is better to avoid unnecessary health risks in the future so it is suggested not to let your cat suffer from these worms. Deworming is simple as feeding so pet owners must not have a difficulty administering the medication. Just remember that all you want is the best for your friend and you’ll do everything to help them.
Cats are exposed to digesting intestinal worms like roundworms, tapeworms and more which most owners must give attention to. With the right kind of medication, you’ll be able to remove intestinal parasites to your cats and live a normal and healthy life again. Always consult your vet for the best deworming medication for your kitten and cats.
Deworming treatment comes in different appearances like tablets and liquid form. You can also purchase over the counter medication without the vet’s prescription, just make sure that you select the right product for your feline friend.