Removing foul odor caused by a cat urine is a very difficult thing to do. If you have a lot of pets at home, it’s a struggle to overcome this situation.
Even if most pet owners think that they have already removed the smell, a visitor can tell that the stinky odor is still present.
It’s time to put an end to this disgusting problem.
Best enzyme cleaner for cat urine is widespread all over the net. Most of the common urine cleaner is a mixture of hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and vinegar.
The majority of cat owners are not familiar with the issue of removing cat urine stains. This makes the urine discoloration difficult to eliminate.
Quick Look at Our Top Picks:
This is the reason why enzyme cleaner is very important to remove cat’s urine. Most homemade solutions do not have the ingredients needed to remove all the element of cat urine.
- What is cat urine composed of?
- Why Does Cat’s Urine Smell So Bad?
- What is The Best Way to Remove Cat’s Urine and Odor?
- Cat Urine Prevention
- What Do You Need to Expect?
- The 5 Best Enzyme Cleaners for Cat Urine
What is cat urine composed of?
- Cat urine has a uric acid
- Some electrolytes
- 5 strains of bacteria
The bacteria are formed whenever the urine dries. It causes a smell like ammonia. When the stain dissolves, it releases an organic compound called thiols that makes the smell strong and hardly remove.
The urobilin is easier to clean. Urea, pheromones and creatinine can be removed with water. The best way to use enzyme cleaner on cat urine are the following:
- Mark the urine as much as you can before applying the enzyme cleaner
- Soak the stain with the enzyme solution
- Let is stay for about 10-15 minutes
- Absorb as much of the enzyme cleaner
- Let it air dry
Why Does Cat’s Urine Smell So Bad?
Cats are known as domesticated pets and do not drink enough water compare to other animals. As a result, their urine becomes more concentrated thus making the smell stronger. As a matter of fact, the urine coming from male cats include hormones which make the smell stronger than female.
To prevent the smell like ammonia, it is better to clean the urine as soon as possible before it totally breaks down.
What is The Best Way to Remove Cat’s Urine and Odor?
When selecting for a solution to eliminate cat’s urine and foul odor, enzyme cleaners are always the best one to look for. They kill organic elements present in cat’s urine which attracts them to keep coming back on the same spot all over again.
You can find enzyme cleaners in the nearest pet stores or in the internet. The odor can be eliminated with cheap products and homemade solutions using vinegar, baking soda and hydrogen peroxide as mentioned earlier but it is not always 100% effective.
How to Clean Stain from Carpets?
- To Remove urine odor and stain from carpets wet the area with paper towels. Do not rub as you will only push the stain deeper into the carpet. If it is already dry, use warm water to moisten the area before starting to put the desired solution and remove the stain.
- Put extra towel papers and slowly press it to absorb as much liquid as possible. Do this for several times until the carpet is almost dry.
- Put the cleaning solution to remove the stain
- For best result, only use an enzyme cleaner to effectively eliminate the bacteria, urine stain as well as the bad smell.
- After applying enzyme cleaner, rinse it with warm water and let it dry.
How to Clean Stain from Upholstery?
- To remove stain from upholstery, use paper towel in the area to mark it and apply cold water with the use of sponge
- Absorb as much as liquid and use the desired solution to clean the stain. Apply 2 cups of warm water for upholstery and 1 tablespoon vinegar
- Use enzyme cleaner for b Use enzyme cleaner for better
What Products to Be Careful with?
Do not use ammonia products for cleaning purposes. Remember that the cat urine is composed of ammonia.
If the same ingredient is used to clean the urine (ammonia), you will only encourage your cat to come back in that spot to urinate.
Cat Urine Prevention
If cat urine smell is a recurring problem, the owners must create an action to avoid the repetition of the behavior. The first thing you can do for your cat is to have it check by the vet.
Do them a favor to see if there are any medical issues related to not urinating on their litter box. If you’re done with this step, there are things to consider to lessen the recurrence of urination.
- As much as possible, place the litter box in the area where the cat can easily see it.
- One of the reasons why they don’t urinate outside is because of stress caused by outside events such as other pets in the yard or the view is blocked. In this case, place them in a clean room with the litter box along with food and water. This way, they will be taught that they should not urinate on the carpet or furniture. If this step is effective, do not forget to give rewards and praises.
- Some cats are comfortably urinating in the plants. Put soil at the top of pine cones or orange peel near it. If the smell is present, they would be able to avoid the plant. Cat spays are also available in the market for this purpose.
- Use the right sized litter box. A small litter box is not going to work for big cats.
- Clean the litter box every day. Do not use one box for all cats. They are very picky just like a human. They won’t use the dirty litter box and more likely to look for a different spot.
- Cats are very clean to themselves. Always put an extra litter box at home. Clean it daily and disinfect it once a week.
What Do You Need to Expect?
The truth is, there are a lot of good enzyme cleaners to choose from and all of them are good enough to remove urine smell and stain. Always compare the quality, ingredients and effectivity in removing odor and stain which can be affected by the following elements:
- Level of moisture in the air
- Level of temperature in the room
- The kind of food that your cat eats
- If the cat is on medications
Sometimes the chemical reaction may affect several factors on how these enzyme cleaners are effective in removing odors and stains.
The 5 Best Enzyme Cleaners for Cat Urine
Cat owners are looking for effective solutions to remove bad odors coming from pet urine. Here are the best enzyme cleaners for cat urine on our list.
Petzyme Stain and Odor Remover
This product is an advanced laboratory formula that kills unnecessary odor and stains caused by the cat’s urine.
- Powerful enzyme cleaner that is environmental friendly which is safe for your cat and for the family
- It does not only provide cleaning purposes; it also serves as renewing the beauty of your carpet or floor
- It eliminates stain and odors permanently
- Can be used in the feces, vomit and other discharge caused by your pet
- Safe to use on fabrics, furniture and upholstery
- It has a pleasant odor
- A lot of good reviews online
- There are times that you have to use it for 2-3 times to see the result
- Not effective in some dog urine stain
- Stain is not 100% removed at times
- A bit expensive
Pet Stain and Odor Miracle
Pet stain and Odor miracle is recommended most by the experts when it comes to cleaning up pet’s urine and feces. It has a bio-enzymatic formula that can remove hard stains and odors.
- The product is not that expensive
- It leaves a good scent in the area
- Does not damage the carpet and fabrics
- Can be used in hardwood floors
- Recommended by the experts
- Safe for kids and pets at home
- It has natural ingredients to clean the spots
- High-quality product made in the USA
- When purchased, 10% of the profit goes to animal rescue center and animal shelters
- There are times that the odor is not completely removed
- The pleasant smell of the product blends with the odor if not properly cleaned
- Some pet owners do not like the smell of the product
- The scent may cause coughing
- Old stain cannot be removed easily
Bubba’s Pet Stains and Odor Terminator
The product is not only intended for pet’s urine; it can also be used in any other kinds of stains at home.
- It can kill bad odors on the floor, carpet, beds and upholstery
- Can remove strong urine odor and stains
- Can get the job done as fast as it can
- Can be used in cages, shoes, garbage and etc
- Has an excellent customer service
- It can also clean feces and vomit
- It helps prevent your cat to keep coming back on the spot
- It prolonged the life of the carpet
- Sometimes it is not effective in old stains
- Some owners might not like the smell
- Stain has the possibility to come back
- Not effective in tiles flooring
Angry Orange Super Strength Odor Neutralizer
The product is initially created for industrial and agricultural purposes in removing poultry odors. It is also used in ponds, farms and plants. It became popular in the market and later on applied in removing pet urine odors as well.
- It can remove all type of pet urine smell and odor
- Can be used in eliminating bad smell in cat litter box
- Safe on wood flooring and carpet
- High-quality enzyme cleaner
- It has a citrus odor
- Safe and non-toxic to pets and family
- Can also be used in the yard and etc.
- Citrus extract is not safe for pets
- Not 100% effective at times
- For some reason, it leaves an oil residue
- Can make your cat sick
- Urine smell comes back after few days
- The pleasant smell is not long enough
Nature’s Miracle Stain and Odor Remover
It has nature’s enzyme to eliminate pet urine odor and stains. The product can also be applied in tough stains.
- Both effective for cat and dog’s urine
- Most advance nature’s formula in cleaning purposes
- It provides faster drying of the liquid
- Worth the price
- Can remove old and new stains
- No added formula is needed
- With artificial fragrance
- Not for carpet
- Has a strong scent
- Can possibly stain new carpet
- Some owners do not like the scent
The lists of the enzyme cleaner above are good products in removing stain and odor caused by your cat’s urine. The best product for us is the Petzyme Stain and Odor Remover. It has an advanced enzymatic formula that gets rid of the stains while taking care of the carpet or flooring.
It is safe even if you leave it for hours. The product is recommended by most experts and environmental friendly making it safe for the whole family and pets at home. With the right directions and effort, owners may be able to get the job done.
Safe for Your Cat
The most important factor to consider is the safety of your cat. Make sure that the enzyme you’ll be using is environmental friendly. Do not go for any harsh chemicals and cleaners that have a disgusting smell causing your cat to be bothered.
Before allowing your pet to go near the area, make sure to let it dry. If still wet, blocked the section that you have recently cleaned.
Cat urine stain is really hard to remove but it is possible with a lot of effort. Some enzyme cleaner may not be able to completely remove the smell. This may result in returning possibilities of your cat to pee in the same area.
If this happens, try the procedure for several times. There is a moment when the first application of the enzyme will not totally be removed the odor or stains, especially in the carpet.
No matter what the kind of enzyme to use, always test it in a small region of the floor or carpet. Make it sure that it is 100% safe and won’t cause any discoloration.