Munchkin cats are small in appearance, full of energy and known for their playful characteristic. This feline may be short in height but he’s always ready for some fun! Their sizes are between small to medium weighing 5 to 7 pounds. They come in various colors and patterns.
Munchkin cats are surely great for any members of the household including other pets. They can be your great everyday companion. Compare to any other type of breed, munchkin cats are a new breed of cat with very short legs. As a matter of fact, you can even think that this feline is a crossbreed of a daschund dog and a cat. With their sweet natural traits, they are very popular and in demand nowadays. Almost every cat owner would like to have this kind of breed. However, they often ask, how much are munchkin cats in the marketplace?
The average price of munchkin cats usually ranges from $250 to $500. Older ones are cheaper compared to kittens and can be found in the shelter most of the time for only $100. In other cases, munchkin cats can be quite expensive depending on the breeder, quality, the location and freebies available that comes with the adaptation process.
In a marketplace in the USA called Oodle Marketplace US, they post an ad regarding the munchkin cat for sale. The cheapest price you could ever find is $450 while the expensive amount is $2000. Nevertheless, all the information about the cat is not written in the description of the ads. For you to be able to know more the details, you will need to contact the seller directly. The contact information is provided on each ad.
Factors Affecting the Price
- One of the factors that affect the price is the breeder especially if this person is popular and an established breeder.
- The quality of the cats also affects the costs like for example the gender. Female munchkin cats are usually much more expensive than males since it has the capability to reproduce. The color is also one factor.
- The location affects the price of the cat depending on the cities and town. Each location has different rates. One area can be more expensive compared to other locations.
- Freebies such as free vaccines, checkup inclusions and insurance also have a high factor. The more freebies the cat has, the higher the cost.
Other Costs for Having a Munchkin Cats
It’s not only the price of the munchkin cats matter if you are trying to get one for yourself. As a cat owner, you know that you should be aware of the extra costs needed in getting a cat. Having a munchkin cat can be quite costly with the following expenses:
- You are oblique to buy food for your cat. Cat food usually ranges from $10 to $20 per month.
- The lifespan of munchkin cats is between 10-15 years. The more you provide all the necessary care needed, the more your cat’s life extend. Moreover, the cat may need a regular checkup to make sure he’s in a healthy condition. Expect to at least prepare an amount of $100 a month for vet check visits.
- You need to prepare everything he needs from the bed, water bowl, food bowl and litter box.
- Though these items do not really cost a lot but still can contribute to the expenses. If you have plants at home, you may also need to rearrange it so it will not be destroyed by your new feline friend. You need to make sure all dangerous things at home are hidden to ensure the safety of your cat.
- If the desired cat needs to be shipped, you will need to pay $300 to $400 for the shipping fee. The crate is already included in this amount to secure your newly purchased cat.
Behavior, Temperament and Personality of Munchkin Cats
Munchkin cats are very adventurous, outgoing and enjoyed being cuddled every single time. They are full of energy and fast which makes it different from their looks.
Sweet munchkin cats can play with little kids and other pets at home. Although their legs are very short, they are able to climb high places if they want to. It will only take him a little while to do so. It seems like they’re fond of doing this behavior.
When it comes to intellectual capability, these breeds are very smart. It would be nice to train them during younger years as they love challenges and learning new tricks. Always provide a treat when he learns something.
Choose a munchkin kittens that are getting used to the litter box. Ask the breeder about this. It is ideal to visit the cat to see if they have good temperaments before purchasing them.
Any cats have the possibility to acquire genetic health issues just like us humans have the potential to inherit certain diseases from our genes. Say no to breeders who cannot offer any health guarantee on kittens and just tell you that everything is okay since their breed are isolated at home and cannot obtain any health issues.
It is a fact that munchkin kittens are very healthy and seems like not having a problem with spinal cords. This cannot be seen during younger years and there could be any possible changes in the future. It is always best to purchase from a breeder that offers health guarantee in a written document or files.
Do not forget that once you have purchased your munchkin cat and able to bring home, it is now your responsibility to protect him from any possible danger and any health problems like obesity. Do not overfeed them, maintaining the right weight is the best way to provide a healthy lifestyle for them.
Their coat can be easily groom. Weekly brushing is ideal with those have a short coat. Twice a week brushing those that have a long haired cat to avoid growth of any mats and tangles.
The other grooming process you need to focus on is having their nails trimmed regularly and clean the ears whenever necessary. Always use mild cleanser recommended by the vet. Regularly brush their teeth with only approved toothpaste for pets. Start doing all of these while they’re still kittens and be able to adjust to the grooming process easily when they become adults.
How Will You Be Able to Save Money?
Both buying and adoption require certain dollars. There are some helpful ways that you can do to save money and have a munchkin cats.
- You needn't to shop at other locations. Try to find a local munchkin breeder. In this way, you can save a lot and do not need to pay for shipping fee. This also gives you the opportunity to visit and see the cat personally before purchasing it. Also, you can assess the place when the kitten grew.
- It is recommended that you get an insurance for your feline friend since vet checkups can be quite expensive. It may be an extra cost for you at first but it will save you money in the future.
- Buy a large amount of pet food. This will save you a lot of money. Just make sure that your new friend will eat all of these prior to expiration date.
The munchkin cats are convenient to any home and any people. Just make sure to provide the love and care that he needs. Always keep him indoors to protect him from any danger and any possible health problems he can acquire. The munchkin cats can live for more than 12 years.