Without you knowing it, your feline friend might have worms. There are 2 types of intestinal worms affecting all types of cats, these are roundworms and tapeworms. Symptoms are not always visible in this case. These worms can easily be acquired by eating the eggs from outside or ingesting the infected fleas during the grooming proves. Kittens are the ones that can easily get the roundworms from their mothers especially when breastfeeding.
The Drontal tablets work efficiently to kill these worms. So, what’s exactly is this medication?
Drontal is a medication is widely used by the veterinarian. They usually prescribe it when your cat is diagnosed with worm infestations. The main ingredient of Drontal is praziquantel, a medication that is used to remove tapeworms attach in your cat’s intestines using a single dosage. In some cases, the vet may require a follow-up treatment to completely remove any worms left in the body about 2 to 3 weeks after the 1st treatment.
How Does it Work?
When the worms breed and stay in your cat’s body, they cause vomiting and diarrhea, other do not show any symptoms. Drontal kills intestinal worms easily and effectively, helping your feline friend stay healthy and happy. It is recommended to treat your cat with Drontal every 3 months to help fight these intestinal worms.
What is the Indication?
Each tablet of Drontal consists of 72.6 mg of pyrantel pamoate and 18.2 mg of praziquantel. The table can only be given once. Since the medication can only remove the current intestinal parasites in your cat’s body, this means that the reinfestation is possible. Regardless the following dosage can be applied:
- For kittens- give only ½ tablet
- 4-8lbs cats – 1 tablet
- 9-12 lbs cats – 1.5 tablet
- 13-16 lbs cats – 2 tablets
The length of the treatment should be followed:
- Kittens – Every 2 weeks until 3 months of age then once a month until 6 months of age then change to once every 3 months.
- Adult Cats – Give every 3 months
- Mothers – Simultaneous treatment with kittens.
The drontal medication is available in tablet form so it can easily be cut in half. Directly give the drug into your cat’s mouth. If this is not possible, the medication can be dissolved in water, crushed or mixed with cat food. Use only the right amount of food to cover the crushed medication.
If you’re still having a difficulty administering the drug to your cat, you can have it given via injection. Discuss this with your vet.
Benefits of Drontal?
Here are some benefits of Drontal medication for your cat:
- Kills intestinal parasites from the gastrointestinal tract
- Avoid complications that are related to worms like vomiting, anemia and malnutrition
- Encourage healthier digestion for your feline friend
- Safe and 100% effective
- Easily administered since it comes in a tablet form
How Often Do You Give Drontal to Cats?
Give the Drontal medication according to the prescription. If you do not understand the treatment plan, ask your vet to explain the details to you. Drontal is given in a single dose. It’s best to store the medication at a room temperature away from heat and moisture.
Things to Avoid While Giving Drontal to Cats?
Since cat owners can have a direct contact with tapeworms from animals, it is necessary to have a good hygiene. It is also important to remove the fleas in your cat and always maintain a clean environment in your home as for them to avoid ingesting any possible rodents which eventually causes intestinal parasites. To avoid reinfection, clean the stools daily.
Side Effects of Drontal
The side effects of medications are very rare but your feline friend may experience loss of appetite, an increased amount of saliva, diarrhea and vomiting. If you notice any unfamiliar side effects, talk to your vet about it.
Are There Any Medications that Can Affect Drontal?
If your feline friend already used a deworming medication, do not give the Drontal unless it is suggested by your vet.
What Can You Do If You Miss a Dose?
If you missed a scheduled treatment plan, give the medication as soon as you remember. Never double the dosage for the next treatment. Always consult this with the expert.
Things to Remember:
- As mentioned above, side effects are not common with Drontal medication but your cat may experience diarrhea, loss of appetite, vomiting and others. Watch out for any signs of overdose. If you think your cat is having a discomfort after taking the meds, consult this with your vet.
- Humans are also possible in acquiring the tapeworms. Talk to your vet about proper preventative measures to follow.
- Drontal medication cannot be used by humans. Immediately contact your physician if you have ingested the said drug.
- Do not give the Drontal along with other deworming medications unless prescribed by the vet.
- Drontal cannot be given to pregnant cats. Always consult this with your vet.