Are you having a problem finding cat pee in your house? Regardless of how much you love your feline friend, it is never healthy and comfortable to live with cat urine spots in different areas of your home. It is not enjoyable spending time to keep detecting cat urine. Cats can be delicate when it comes to their bathroom hygiene. If the litter box is not appropriate for them, they are more likely to pee everywhere which can cause unnecessary odors. Urine cat smell is not something you would love especially inside your home!
According to some studies, there are different reasons why cats urinate outside their litter box particularly those who are not spayed. One reason could be an indication of Urinary Tract Infection or your feline friend is having difficulty sharing litter box with other cats. Another reason is maybe because cats do weird stuff that human cannot understand.
Whatever the reason why your feline friend is not using his litter box, it is still important how to find cat pee in your house to detect the places where the urine is located to remove the stain and odor. This way, you can also prevent possible sickness that you and your family members can get.
To establish a quiet, clean and fresh environment inside your home, there are some useful ways below on how you can detect cat’s urine and remove it either from carpet and furniture.
There are times that cat urine is not visible to the naked eye and yet you can still smell it! In this case, you will need a UV-A light to detect the stain. You can also use a black light. Whatever that is convenient for you. These two lights are the easiest tool to figure out what you are looking for.
Black lights can also use to see phosphors like gems and minerals.
When you use UV-A light or black light, it is ideal to turn off the lights or apply it in dark room.
UV protection glasses to protect your eyes from UV lights. It also has the ability to block UV rays you can get.
Use extension cords to provide electric current to unreachable areas like under bed and etc.
Enzymatic cleaner to clean your cat’s urine odor.
Masking tape to mark the area of urine spots.
When is The Best Time to Look for Cat Urine?
When you notice some unnecessary odor in your house. It is best to start figuring out where the smell is coming from and what it is.
Start using UV-A light or dark lights.
The darker the place is, the better. The black light is much stronger in dark areas. However, it doesn’t have to be conclusively dark inside your home.
Once you figured out where the cat urine is, white spots will appear on the areas of your search.
Mark the space so you know where the location is.
Apply cleaning solution for urine spots.
Step by Step Procedure on How to Detect Cat Urine Spots and How to Clean It
- Prepare the materials you need as mentioned above
- Do not apply any cleaning products yet in the areas as it will also show up in the UV or dark light. If products have been applied, don’t get agitated if you see lots of spots. The cleaning products are more likely to appear purple while urine may appear brighter like the yellowish color.
- Make sure that you have your extension cord ready to access unreachable areas as possible.
- Be precise with your search, you can use your nose for this purpose. Cat urine sometimes have a strong smell which can be detected.
- Turn off all lights in the house. Directly go to places where you suspect the urine is present. If during the day, you can just close your blinds or cover windows with newspaper or anything temporarily just to keep the area dark.
- Turn on the UV or black light and slowly walk around the house. Do not forget to check on the areas such as below and behind furniture. Earlier stains show pale yellow color while fresh stains will appear brighter.
- You can do a sweeping motion using the UV or black light just to assure you cover all the areas. Do not stop if you can’t find anything while unnecessary odor is still present. It could be somewhere.
- Do not forget also to check other surfaces like bookshelves, drawers, walls and etc.
- If you find any spots, mark the area with masking tape so you can see them after your search. Tape the area on all sides of the spots to make sure you will be able to get the space clean.
- Remove all urine spots as possible. If the stain is present on clothing and linens, wash them and let them dry. You may not want to stay the urine longer in fabric as it could smell worse.
- Use an enzymatic cleaner to clean the area or use baking soda as an alternative.
- If there is urine stain present on your fabric furniture, clean it with water and soap. Have it dry thoroughly. If the stain remains for a long period of time on that fabric, the odor becomes more unpleasant. You can also use baking soda for cleaning fabric furniture and enzymatic additives which certainly kills the bad smell.
- If you see any stain on the wall and floor, clean it using a wet cloth or map.
- Spray the area with these cleaning ingredients and target only the location where the stain is. In this way, your cat is less likely to pee in the same area all over again. There are different kinds of products to purchase in online or on your vet store ideally for urine cleaning purposes. Remember also not to mix enzymatic cleaning substance to other products as it could weaken the solution.
- For carpets, you can also use wet vac. Use clean water and detergent for carpet and rinse it very well. After cleaning the area, you can also add an air freshener just to absorb the odors. Scatter it everywhere either after cleaning the stains efficiently. Let it dry for about an hour.
Things to Remember
Whatever reasons why your cat goes outside their litter box and pee inside the home, stains and that crazy odor is very annoying and not so comfortable. It takes a lot of good work, right equipment to overcome this and resolve the problem.
It is also important not to yell at your feline friend if they pee in the house. It won’t solve your concern. It will only cause your cat to get stressed more and you don’t want your friend to be afraid of you.
When your cat does not use his litter box, try some positive reinforcement by praising and pet him. Encourage the purpose of the litter box. This is very important to prevent them from urinating inside your home and works very well.
This way, it can give you better results to solve your problems. Always remain calm and offer what’s best for your feline friend.
If you have any suggestions, feel free to comment below! We can’t wait to hear what else you would add to the lists.