You stay anywhere near those areas where raccoons are found quite often, or do you regularly feed feral cats?
If that is so, then you have already faced one of the worst issues of raccoons taking a share or complete cat food that you serve. It is an impossible situation and we are left bewildered thinking of ways on how to keep raccoons out of our cat food.
None of the cat feeders comes marked as raccoon-proof. However, some cat feeders are better at keeping raccoons away than others. To make things easier, I have prepared a list of the best 5 raccoon proof cat feeders that will help you keep the coons out of your cat’s plate.
- Why Raccoons Are Eating Cat Food?
- How To Keep Raccoons Out Of Cat Food?
- Best 5 Raccoon Proof Cat Feeders
- PetSafe Healthy Pet– Best-selling raccoon-proof automatic cat feeder – slow feed cat bowl
- SureFeed Microchip Pet Feeder – Collar Activated (RFID MicroChip) Cat Feeder – Automatic Wet Food Feeder
- Cat Mate C3000 – Low budget raccoon-proof automatic cat feeder
- Pet Feedster USA PF-10– Best Outdoor Cat Feeder
- Cedar – Simple raccoon proof cat feeder for outdoor use
Top Pick Raccoon Proof Cat Feeders
- PetSafe Healthy Pet (Best-selling )
- SureFeed Microchip Pet Feeder ( Best automatic wet food cat feeder)
- Cat Mate C3000 (Low budget)
- Pet Feedster USA PF-10 (Best for outdoor cat feeder)
- Cedar (Simple for outdoor use)
Why Raccoons Are Eating Cat Food?
Raccoons simply eat almost anything. However, there are a few things that happen to be their favorites, such as peanuts, a large variety of fruits ranging between apples, berries, and cherries, and of course, the delightful cat and dog foods that you serve.
Raccoons are omnivores and thus if they can find, they will eat your cat’s food. Also, once raccoons know that food is available at a certain place, they will keep coming back all through the day to check out.
How To Keep Raccoons Out Of Cat Food?
It is virtually impossible to keep raccoons away from our place once they come to know that there are foods available. So, how do you keep the raccoons away from your cat food? Here are a few tips that might come in handy.
5 ways to keep raccoons away from your cat’s food
- Place the food bowl on an elevated place and within an enclosed space.
- Cats are quite comfortable having their food within an enclosed space and it does not matter if it is on an elevated space. But this will certainly keep the raccoons away. You may check out the large cedar outdoor pet feeding station from CozyCatFurniture. It is sturdy and will act as a good outdoor feeding space for the feral cats.
- Maintain a fixed timing for feeding the cats. The cats will get used to the time and will come around that time to be fed, especially the feral cats.Try and make your home raccoon proof by erecting fences and taking other such measures.
- Feed the cat indoors. In most cases, raccoons will not be able to track the food indoors and thus this is a good idea if you want your cat to enjoy the meal undisturbed.
- Get a raccoon proof cat feeder.
There are plenty of cat feeders available in the market. But not all are raccoon proof feeders. While there is no clear demarcation and manufacturers do not clearly state that a feeder is raccoon proof, there are some cat feeders that can do the job of keeping the raccoon away from your cat’s food quite efficiently.
I have put together a list of the best raccoon proof cat feeders that are up for the job. Check out the list below along with detailed reviews about each one of them.
Best 5 Raccoon Proof Cat Feeders
Now, let us check out the top raccoon proof cat feeders. However, if you are simply looking for the best cat feeders available for regular indoor use, check out the blog on best automatic cat feeders.
PetSafe Healthy Pet– Best-selling raccoon-proof automatic cat feeder – slow feed cat bowl
When it comes to raccoon-proof automatic cat feeders, the PetSafe pet feeder is among the most versatile of the lot and among the highest selling as well.
It is a tried and tested pet feeder that raccoons are unable to force to provide extra food. The locking lid and the pet-proof dispenser keep the food secured within the hopper. The feeder has 4D Alkaline Batteries and thus you need not power it continuously for it to remain operational.
The feeding options are plenty to suit a variety of cats. You can use either semi-wet or dry food and the anti-clog mechanism keeps the feeder working with both types quite efficiently.
What did I not like?
While the feeder works great, you will have to invest in a proper feeding station that will be able to hold the feeder in place and prevent it from being toppled over by the raccoons. The feeder is also not meant for outdoor use and you need to make sure that it is well protected from rain, sun and other such natural agents.
- It is extremely versatile and you can set the feeding time as per need up to 12 times in a day while each feeding ranging between 1/8 to 4 cups.
- This pet proof feeder can easily ensure that raccoons will not be able to use the paw to take out extra kibbles or cat food from the feeder. The top lid is also locked in to prevent pets from getting extra helping, which also makes it pretty effective against raccoons.
- The feeder runs on battery power and does not need constant electric supply for it to work, hence you get tom choose the location of the feeder as needed.
- The feeder works with both semi-wet and dry food and has anti-clog mechanism making it perfect for all types of cats, no matter what diet they are on.
- The feeder is not perfectly meant for outdoor use and you will have to use shielded feeding post to place the feeder so that it is not damaged by rain or too much heat due to direct sun rays.
- The feeder design is not such that it can remain stable if knocked hard, so you need to make sure that the feeder is well placed in a secured manner.
The PetSafe automatic cat feeder is among the top-selling ones available in the category and is proven to be effective in keeping raccoons away from the food stored in the food dispenser. You may give this a try if you have been having issues with raccoons stealing food kept for your cat.
Placing the feeder at an elevated point can be really helpful as well. just make sure the feeding bowl is secured too at the right spot.
SureFeed Microchip Pet Feeder – Collar Activated (RFID MicroChip) Cat Feeder – Automatic Wet Food Feeder
There is probably no better raccoon-proof cat feeder available at present. While this feeder is not advertised thus, the unique microchip-enabled feature makes it perfect for the job.
The feeder is activated by a microchip attached to the collar of the cat and when the cat comes to the feeder, the lid automatically retracts to let the cat have the food stored within and then again closes once your furry friend has left. So, no matter if raccoons are able to get to the feeder, it will never open to let them have your cat’s food.
Remember, this feeder is not meant for outdoor use. If you are going to place it outside make sure you are placing it within some enclosed space so as to keep it away from the various natural agents.
What did I not like?
The side of the feeder tray is not enough elevated and if any other cat or animal is nearby, that cat or animal can push your kitty aside and have your cat’s share of food. The lid does not close quickly enough to prevent that from happening.
- The feeder is activated using RFID cat feeder and microchip feeder attached to your cat’s collar and thus you can rest assured that it is your cat only who can aces the food within the feeder.
- It is powered by 4 C-Cell batteries giving it quite high lifetime.
- The feeder can be moved to any convenient location since it does not require direct power supply for it to work.
- One feeder can be programmed for 4 different microchips and thus you can use one feeder for multiple cats while also making sure you allow only limited access to each cat.
- If you are going to use the cat feeder outdoor, you will need to prepare a separate feeding area that will shield the feeder from various natural agents like rain, sun and dust.
- The sides of the feeder are not enough elevated to provide shielding against other animals from pushing your cat aside while he/she is feeding.
The Surefeed microchip activated automatic cat feeder is among the best and most innovative feeders available that will help you keep the raccoons out of your cat’s food bowl. The feeder comes with a microchip if you do not have one.
you will simply have to attach the microchip to the cat feeder with a collar sensor and rest assured.
Cat Mate C3000 – Low budget raccoon-proof automatic cat feeder
The Cat Mate C3000 cat feeder is idea for feeding multiple times a day without you having to monitor the feeding time continuously. The hopper has a large capacity of 6.5lbs and allows you to preprogram the feeder to dispense food up to 3 times a day or simply select multiple feeding in small quantity all through the day.
Since the feeder does not need a direct power supply and runs on 4 C-Cell batteries, it can be sued for about 6 to 9 months without the need to change the battery.
The feeder also comes with the option of being fixed to a wooden board for secured placement, which is quite helpful if you wish to keep the feeder outside and do not want the raccoons to topple it over to get to the food.
The food-dispensing mechanism is secured so that neither the cats nor the raccoons are able to paw in to make extra food fall from the hopper. The top lid of the hopper is secured using a locking mechanism that prevents it from being opened by the animals.
It certainly serves as a great feeder that can keep the raccoons away from your cat’s food and you can make sure that the timing is set such that the cat arrives on time to have the meal.
What did I not like?
The automatic feeding button is too easy to use. If your cat or any other animal figures it out, the feeder is pretty much ineffective from there on.
- Secured feeding port and top lid does not allow cats or other animals like raccoons to have access to the food.
- Programmable feeding modes allow different types of feeding frequency.
- It runs on battery power and hence can be easily placed at any convenient location, even outdoors.
- The feeder can be secured to a wooden base that allows you to place it securely on any feeding station.
- The price is not too high and should be within your budget.
- The emergency feeding button is easy to use and might be figured out by other animals which will make the feeder ineffective.
- The feeder capacity is fairly high and you can fix up to 3 major meals in a day, but that might not be enough for feeding feral cats with high appetite.
The Cat Mate cat feeder is a great raccoon-proof cat feeder that is effective I keeping the raccoons from accessing the food stock meant for the cats. It does not need direct power line and you can use it at any convenient place.
This will be a good choice since you will not have to monitor the feeder round the clock while you remain free from worry about raccoons getting to the food placed outside.
Pet Feedster USA PF-10– Best Outdoor Cat Feeder
While we are combating the raccoon nuisance and trying to find the perfect cat feeder that will help keep the cat’s food away from the raccoon, there is one more problem that feeders kept on the outside, or sometimes even indoors, face. It is the issue of the ants and other insects finding their way into the feeder and enjoying the cat food.
If you are looking after feral cats then you will most probably leave the feeder out or in a place which is easily accessible to the cat but not within the household. The Pet Feedster USA PF-10 automated cat feeder is the perfect feeder that you should check out.
It can dispense food in varying amounts up to 5 times in a day. This feeder is compatible with a wide array of kibble sizes and thus you will not have to worry about changing the food if you are shifting to this feeder from a different one.
The feeder not only keep the raccoons away from the food, but it also helps keep the food fresh and clean by keeping the ants and insects away.
What did I not like?
The plastic used to build the feeder is not of superior quality. Given the premium price, which is another drawback of the product, the quality should have been much better than what is provided.
- The automated cat feeder keeps raccoons away as well as helps keep the food fresh and ensure that ants and insects are not able to get to the food.
- You can set up to 5 meals in a day and the portion per meal can be adjusted as well depending upon the requirement.
- The feeder can work on 6 D batteries that act as the DC supply for the product and thus it will not run out of power in the absence of direct power supply.
- You can use kibbles of varying sizes and thus you will not have to change the diet of the cat if you are planning on shifting to this feeder from the current one.
- It is extremely easy to assemble and program.
- The hopper capacity is pretty large – 10lbs of food.
- The plastic material used to prepare this product is not too costly which can result in the feeder breaking down due to your pet or raccoons activities.
- The price is a premium one and you will have to check your budget before ordering.
This made in USA automated cat feeder is perfect if you are going to leave it out for the feral cats. The raccoons cannot get to the food in any way and you can easily set the schedule for feeding and ensure that the portions are managed.
Cedar – Simple raccoon proof cat feeder for outdoor use
Are you worried about having a mechanical feeder out in the open for the feral cats to have food from?
This cedar dog-proof cat feeder might be the one thing that you are looking for. The feeder has a unique design where the feeding bows is accessed from the inside. It is almost impossible for dogs to access the food and the hidden design ensures that the raccoons do not come to have the food you are giving to the cat.
However, I would suggest you to place this feeder at a place that will be accessible to the cats but not so easily for the raccoons. To make this additionally effective against raccoons I would suggest creating a narrow opening to get inside the feeder where the cats can easily get in but the raccoons will not be able to.
What did I not like?
The price is quite high and it certainly is among the premium feeders in the list. Quite honestly, this is not the feeder if someone is looking for a cheap option.
- The feeder design is unique, clever, and extremely simple for the cats to figure out but not so for the other animals like dogs and raccoons.
- The feeder is made of high quality material and can be either kept inside or outside the house as needed without causing any damage.
- The wooden body makes the feeder sturdy enough so that it does not topple while the cat is using it. Additionally, you will be able to fix it to a secured base with a bit of modification.
- The product is long lasting.
- The price is quite high and this is never the cheapest option available, even though the design is very simple.
- For this feeder to be perfectly raccoon proof, you will have to make some further modifications.
While the cedar feeder is not a really cheap option, this one is certainly a great product that can be placed at place within or outside the house and you will not have to worry about the raccoons finding their way in easily.
If you are unable to get batteries or charging point outside to the feeder and cannot create a separate feeding station for the automated feeders to be placed, this one will be a great choice.
While searching for raccoons proof cat feeders it is quite unlikely that you will find any product exclusively marked thus.
Manufacturers generally do not put the raccoon-proof tag on the products. However, the innovative designs and mechanisms make it easy to ensure that the raccoons are kept away from your cat’s food.
In this blog I presented a list of some of the best products available currently. If you are facing similar trouble with the raccoons then you may try out one of these items and see how well they work for you.